Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
trackIR
12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
trackIR
Anyone use it? is it worth it and is it better to invest in 2/3 monitor setup first?

currently only have one monitor - fairly old so was looking at a rog swift or such trying so hard not to spend like its xmas lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 10:57 PM
RE: trackIR
I haven't used the TrackIR, but I do use the EDTracker instead. It's a cheap, arduino based, open source, 3-axis unit that can translate head movement into a joystick input.

I'm only using a single ASUS 24 inch monitor, sitting about 5ft away and it's fine.

[Image: EliteDangerous%20Signiture_04_2.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2015, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 06:30 AM by Hellhawk.)
I have the TrackIR + Proclip and I find it constraining to play the game without it. Until you try a head tracking device you can't imagine how much it adds to the game, both in terms of immersion and practicality.

When coming in for a landing you can just turn your head to keep the entry slot in view while maneuvering ; in combat you can keep an enemy within view a lot more of the time ; when just traveling around it gives a whole different aspect on passing features ; it frees you from any need to press keys etc to enable headlook ; it makes using the HUD side panels immediate and intuitive ; etc.

The EDTracker is more economical and perfectly fine for ED. It has 3 axes of adjustment whereas the TrackIR has 6, but in my TrackIR setup I only have 4 axes active anyway. I have not used an EDTracker myself so I don't know how easy it is to setup, but the TrackIR is simplicity itself. The TrackIR comes with a reflective gizmo that you clip onto a baseball cap to show your head position to the camera.

The ProClip is an optional 3-point active device for the TrackIR that you clip onto a headset - it provides faster and slightly more accurate performance. It's also very handy if you wear a gaming headset anyway for Teamspeak and/or VoiceAttack.

eg
[Image: 1emihGl.jpg]

(If you're thinking of the ProClip make sure it will fit your headphone band! Many are too thick, wide or skinny for it. The Steelseries Axis in the photo above, and the Audio Technica ATH-AG1 headphones both work admirably)

I'd say without hesitation that headtracking gives you more bang for the buck than a multi-monitor setup.

About screens, I currently have the ROG Swift PG278Q which is a great monitor and it's running just fine on an original series non-overclocked nVidea 780 card. However it's a TN panel and if you are looking at the ROGs I'd strongly recommend one of the newer IPS models - the difference in colour quality is unmistakable and they are still perfectly fast enough for gaming. I'm seriously considering one of the upcoming curved 21:9 aspect IPS panels with g-sync as an upgrade, plus an upgrade to a fairly uber GPU.

[Image: OJZOymS.jpg]
13-08-2015, 07:55 AM
know ROG were releasing a ips panel, didnt know it was curved. dont want to go anywhere near acer which has shit built quality from what ive read.

You got any info on the curved widescreen model? will prob be well outside my budget but its almost xmas lol
13-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I believe it's still in development - prototypes have been shown at industry & game shows but no release date yet. ACER have theirs out, so I'd imagine it won't take long for ASUS & BENQ to follow suit. I'm hoping around the time of the Horizons release Big Grin

[Image: OJZOymS.jpg]
12-02-2016, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 07:29 PM by AndySpawn.)
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has anyone else been experiencing problems using TrackIR?

I just got my hands on a TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip and I cannot get it to work with ED. I've installed v5.4.1 of the software and clicked on game updates, but it just doesn't seem to recognise ED. I tested it with American Truck Sim just to be sure it was working, and it's perfect there. I've been pulling my hair out for 2 hours here, trying to figure out what's wrong.

I even looked on the FD forums, and all the posts there were of zero help, or referencing a "how to" guide that is impossible to find.

12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
(12-02-2016 07:28 PM)AndySpawn Wrote:  Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has anyone else been experiencing problems using TrackIR?

I just got my hands on a TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip and I cannot get it to work with ED. I've installed v5.4.1 of the software and clicked on game updates, but it just doesn't seem to recognise ED. I tested it with American Truck Sim just to be sure it was working, and it's perfect there. I've been pulling my hair out for 2 hours here, trying to figure out what's wrong.

I even looked on the FD forums, and all the posts there were of zero help, or referencing a "how to" guide that is impossible to find.
Sorry to hear you having problems mate...

All I can suggest is make sure Track IR is open, running and working with a suitable profile (I use the one from this link https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16826) before opening the ED launcher.
If it still doesn't work you may need to look at your control settings.
I seem to remember having problems initially as I'd "looked around" using a joystick hat... long time ago, so I may be talking out of a nether orifice though Confused

Commander Charlie "Sloe" Gin
12-02-2016, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 09:53 PM by AndySpawn.)
Yeah, I had been using the HAT as my headlook but I don't know if that's the issue.

I tried using Maxim's profile, but it won't show up in the Profiles list in TrackIR, and I've followed the instructions he posted. Though I don't see how a profile would make any difference if the game isn't being recognised.

I've contacted the Help Desk for Natural Point so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Ok, got this fixed.

Turns out my compartmentalisation has worked against me for once Big Grin

I had TrackIR installed on my Software drive. Once uninstalled and installed in the default C: drive directory, it now works fine.

Oh, and I also got the profiles working too. Turns out I was looking for the wrong Profiles folder. Blush

12-02-2016, 10:05 PM
(12-02-2016 09:02 PM)AndySpawn Wrote:  Yeah, I had been using the HAT as my headlook but I don't know if that's the issue.

I tried using Maxim's profile, but it won't show up in the Profiles list in TrackIR, and I've followed the instructions he posted. Though I don't see how a profile would make any difference if the game isn't being recognised.

I've contacted the Help Desk for Natural Point so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Ok, got this fixed.

Turns out my compartmentalisation has worked against me for once Big Grin

I had TrackIR installed on my Software drive. Once uninstalled and installed in the default C: drive directory, it now works fine.

Oh, and I also got the profiles working too. Turns out I was looking for the wrong Profiles folder. Blush

Glad you got it it all working Big Grin

Commander Charlie "Sloe" Gin
23-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Get a £6 small Air mouse from ebay, strap it to your headset and use the in-game mouselook function. Works just as good as TrackIr.